Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Grocery shopping success...

I grew up going to the Commissary, not the Grocery store. My mom never used coupons, the military prices were fantastic, and so I never learned how to use them either ... until recently. A few things led up to this, I have a 6 week menu (I'm not good at the whole day by day thing because I have to be in the mood for what I am going to eat - I just have everything written down that we can have for 6 weeks - and I have a coordinating grocery list). I've been doing that for a little over a year - it's made grocery shopping a snap and I usually have everything I need. I live in the boonies so no running to the store at last minute. We do have to go back for bread and milk every 2 weeks or so. Then at the last general conference I remember hearing the general authorities talking about being thrifty and since my sister in law is so great at that, I thought I could learn a few things myself. I still haven't learned the whole Sunday Newspaper thing, but I have learned how to use the Smart List and the online coupons. The Smart List is GREAT! It's the circular with the sales from my store in a spread sheet and it tells you what is really a good deal and where to get the coupons. Then I look online for any coupons to make the sale even better for me. Anyway, thanks to Marne I have been watching the videos and reading the info at The Obsessive Shopper Blog and have learned tips on coupon-ing and the Smart List. Right now I am learning how to make my own spreadsheet with all the things from my Menu Grocery List so I really can keep better track of where our money is going and what is really a good sale. So yesterday Coleton and I went to the store right after we dropped Haeley off. It took a little over an hour to shop for 6 weeks worth of food. He was really well behaved and I am a really lucky mom. So the girl rang up our groceries and then put in all the online coupons. The store I went to doesn't keep track of your savings (like some of those that use cards), but it did keep track of the coupons. The woman behind me was actually nice and said how impressed she was at what I had saved in just coupons. Just in online coupons I saved $28.05. I can see why my SIL loves doing this - it's downright addicting. I mean - $28.05 in addition to the sale prices. That alone equals hundreds of dollars a year. Aand who doesn't need their money to go a little further these days?

3 comments:

Marne said...

Yay! It IS addicting! I can't imagine shopping without coupons now, combining with sales, doubling, rebates, etc. You save soooo much money! Already this month I have gotten so many free and nrealy free items at Albertson's (thanks to their doubles) and Walgreens. I love it. But it helps they are right across the street. I can go whenever and it's no big deal.

Good job Laura! It's a rush!

Trevor and Amy said...

I know it is addicting. Just wait until you get up at 5 a.m. to get to Albertsons to make sure everything that you want is in stock! Been there, done that! I actually use grocery smarts too. It's great! I am really excited to purchase your triumph albums. We have been finishing our basement and I haven't spent a lot of time on the computer to get it done, but don't worry, I will. That's awesome that you are donating some of the profits. I took quite a few pics when I was bald and while it was growing back, but seeing everything that you have journaled and pictured, I wish I would have done more. You have great ideas! Oh and I love the picture of the old truck!

thejohnmfamily said...

I love saving money, and I think everyone could use a few extra dollars lately.